History of The Centre
Govilon Activity Centre is proudly owned and maintained by Kettering Old Grammar School Foundation (KOGSF).
KOGSF is an educational charity based in the borough of Kettering, Northamptonshire. Its history can be traced back to 1577 when Queen Elizabeth granted land and properties for the establishment of a school in Kettering. The original Grammar School was situated on Gold Street and remained there until transferring to new premises in the early nineteen hundreds.
The Grammar School Foundation was formally established in 1911. Upon the closure of the original Grammar School, it took responsibility for the administration of the lands and property of the new Boys Grammar School and Girls High School on Bowling Green Road, Kettering. The balance of its annual income was used to provide scholarships and supported places at the schools.
Following the 1944 Education Act, the Boys Grammar School and Girls High School passed to the direct control of Northamptonshire County Council. From there on, the Foundation began providing subsidies for the young people of Kettering to attend extra-curricula activities instead. Today, The Foundation proudly welcomes upwards of 850 visitors of all ages to Govilon every year. These visitors come from all over the United Kingdom, and many are eligible for bursaries and subsidies.